The “hôtel particulier”
In 1859, Alfred Sommier’s father, acquired a large building plot on rue de l’Arcade, close to la Madeleine. He wished to settle there his family, in a mansion matching with the prosperity of the family-run sugar business. At the time, the district of the Madeleine was on going the Baron Haussmann’s Parisian building developments.
The Sommier reached out to Joseph Lesoufaché, a renowned architect of the Second Empire. He designed two twin buildings made of cut stone with a courtyard and a garden at the back. Alfred settles himself on the 20 rue de l’Arcade. Descendants of the Sommier family still own the building and one of them, transformed it into the hotel and now operates it.
Many elements of the original interior decor have been preserved in the rooms and suites, and in Alfred Sommier’s former office and salons. His monogram is wrought inside the staircases iron railings. Two caryatids support one of the grand marble staircases.